Game and board accounts

Come here to talk about Nosferatu and related stuff.

Moderator: Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Kilt Gaston on Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:04 am

and what's wrong with that? I mean, his amount of blood is miniscule!
Kilt Gaston

Postby Roberticus on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:07 pm

What about LAN games? I mean offline games, do one have to connect to the worldserver then? and what stats do one use if not playing online games?
and if some people have their own (account)servers, then they might hack their accunt and place godlike stats? (as such destroy the fun in the game, unfair games)
What happens when the server is down? Is it then possible to play the game? if so, with what special skills/weapons? (stats that is)
This system sound abit like the Won authentication system, but this one is without cd-key that is (or is it?), and seems to be a better system :)
Roberticus

Postby Ghostface on Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:20 pm

good question :)
Sex is like hacking. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back
Ghostface
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Mort Rouge on Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:32 pm

Ghostface wrote:good question :)

Bad answer.
Mort Rouge

Postby Icarus on Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:39 pm

Mort Rouge wrote:
Ghostface wrote:good question :)

Bad answer.

Goo answer.
Ghostface wrote:Icarus answered all questions exactly the way I would have.

I qualify him officialy to answer questions like that.
Icarus
Certified to answer nos related stuff

Postby Ghostface on Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:00 pm

yeah yeah here comes the good one:

3 solutions were considered:

A.) You aren't logged in (or playing on LAN) so your progress wont be saved simple as that

B.) Data is stored on the server side. This opens the possibility of cheating tho, so only trustworthy LAN server admins are recommended.

C.) You get more/faster experience points thus you are able to levelup alot quicker (think of it like in counterstrike with the money).

Basicly it will be similiar to Blizzards Battle.net.

Theres the Closed version where player related data/progress is saved on our masterserver independantly from the game-servers.

And theres the Open version where player related data/progress is saved at the server you are currently playing on - Disadvantage is that the server admin could cheat by haxoring the savegame files. Also playerdata won't be available between different servers.

However I plan to have a snapshot feature for LAN-Partys.

Right before the LAN-Party starts, the Server admin downloads an account-snapshot which includes player-progress. Then he copies the snapshot on every LAN-Server and people who play on it will be able to play theire char from the point the snapshot was taken.

However all progress made during the LAN session will only be saved on the snapshots. It wont be possible to copy them back to the masterserver in order to avoid cheating.

The problem is that any form of local player-progress/data savegames can easily be hacked, however I think our solution is quite good.

If you get any other ideas feel free to suggest them.
Sex is like hacking. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back
Ghostface
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby ProXhimo on Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Ghostface wrote:yeah yeah here comes the good one:

A.) You aren't logged in (or playing on LAN) so your progress wont be saved simple as that

B.) Data is stored on the server side. This opens the possibility of cheating tho, so only trustworthy LAN server admins are recommended.

C.) You get more/faster experience points thus you are able to levelup alot quicker (think of it like in counterstrike with the money).

Theres the Closed version where player related data/progress is saved on our masterserver independantly from the game-servers.

And theres the Open version where player related data/progress is saved at the server you are currently playing on - Disadvantage is that the server admin could cheat by haxoring the savegame files. Also playerdata won't be available between different servers.

Right before the LAN-Party starts, the Server admin downloads an account-snapshot which includes player-progress. Then he copies the snapshot on every LAN-Server and people who play on it will be able to play theire char from the point the snapshot was taken.

However all progress made during the LAN session will only be saved on the snapshots. It wont be possible to copy them back to the masterserver in order to avoid cheating.

The problem is that any form of local player-progress/data savegames can easily be hacked, however I think our solution is quite good.

That's what I call a good answer! ;)
"Stand aside, or you will be struck down..... Die then" - REGIS Mark V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilYHoHNs8A
ProXhimo

Postby Subslaytanic on Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:28 pm

Yeehaw, very nice idea. I'm looking forward to unlock a whole lot of cool stuff, by killing bloodsuckers or hunters. It will be a feature, that will make the game attractive to a lot of people.
Did you see the red mist block your path?
Did the scissors cut their way to your heart?
Did you feel the envy for the sons of mothers tearing you apart?
Arriving somewhere but not here...
Subslaytanic

Postby Icarus on Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:34 pm

You know, I think you should stop reviving old topics...
Ghostface wrote:Icarus answered all questions exactly the way I would have.

I qualify him officialy to answer questions like that.
Icarus
Certified to answer nos related stuff

Postby Pardner on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:59 am

sorry to bring up a really old topic, but....

is this idea being implmented? having an offline mode is would make this game much more enjoyable for me. I really like LAN parties and i really like the looks of this game. I think the whole server snap shot is a really cool idea, but even if i could host a game on my network and have a LAN game would be great.
Pardner

Postby TheFrog4u on Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:18 pm

of course u´ll be able to play offline (against bots) or on lans..

Ghostface wrote:yeah yeah here comes the good one:

azelito wrote:So let's write that in the manual "Don't hold the button. Because that sucks"

TheFrog4u
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby don on Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:01 pm

I would choose C overall, because it is easy understandable and reasonable. If all start at status quo (at LANs) and need to do well, to improve their skills, then it is fair aswell.
Kick the bucket, Bloodsuckers.
don

Previous

Return to General Chat