Say hello to my little friend! (guns and gadgets topic)

Constructive criticism and comments, please.

Moderator: Dead Rabbit Software

Say hello to my little friend! (guns and gadgets topic)

Postby Zeruel on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:25 am

'ello mates. Well then, I just seemed to stumble across this site, and am very interested. However, I am also very curious as to what the hunters will get to play with. As an avid gun-nut, I would like to see what I can do in this area.

So then, if someone would be so kind, may I parhaps see a list of finalized weapons? I say this because if there are somethings the creators of this game would like to keep hidden, I would not want to pester them into giving up all their secrets. So I only ask for all the guns that you may have already shown off. To date, the only weapons I know of are the USP, P99 and the sawed-off.
"You can't uninstall evil"-Gabe
Zeruel

Postby Pete on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:38 am

Pete
team pelvicTHRUST
team pelvicTHRUST

Postby Zeruel on Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:55 pm

No offence meant, but I have a few things to say about each:

LeMat Revolver: Well, I'm at aloss for words, as I cant seem to find this weapon in my normal source material, a trip to google is required.

FNP-9: Hmmm, another odd choice. I had to go look this one up. I question, why the FNP-9, and not the PRO-9 (the US ver)? The PRO-9 is also the only one sold to civilians. The FNP-9 is FN's newest military pistil, designed fro the Belgium military. Granted, anout the only differance between the weapons is their name.

1911: No FPS is complete without the originals.

USP Match: The USP (Expert) is withouta doubt one of my most favorit pistols, next to the Python and .941 that is. The only question I have is this: why the Match version?

Mac 11: I'm just going to say now that I hate this gun. I would very much like to know what Gordon Ingram was smoking when he made this (back in the 1970s btw) Sure it's got an insane rate of fire (1600 rpm) but that meants that even with the extended 32 rnd mag that you only get a second or two a fire. Not to mention it's the mother of all spray-and-pray weapons. About the only think this thing IS useful for is hijacking a plane, low-penitration and high ricochetes value make sure you dont down the plane by accident. What I think, I say go for the old Steyr TMP, or if you want newer, the new B&T MP-9 (which is what the TMP turned into after Steyr sold the specs)

H&K USC: Oi, got'a love H&K. Though, your choise of the Match barrel for your modle is a bit odd. Personaly I think the snub barrel with a flash hider looks much better. What would look even cooler is if you slapped on a tri-mag anda fore grip.

M1A1 Thompson: Ahh, again, got'a love the classics. Though I must ask why such an old weapon? I love the gun and all, but dont you think its a bit old? And if I may ask, will we be having to put up with those blasted WWII 20 round mags? Thirty is a much luckier number.

M31: o_O; I'm at a loss for words. Firat off, why the M31, AND the Remi 870? The Remi is abetter weapon overall. And why two skins for the M31? If your going to have more than one shotgun, have a DIFFERENT gun all together. Hell, I know it would be overkill but the USAS kicks ass. It's a first not to see the SPAS. Hell, the M3 Super 90 has a select fire between semi and auto fire. Granted this gun will always havea place in history as the the weapon used to shoot grenads like clay ducks.

Hammer and Stake: Oh shit this is going to be fun, running around like a mad man with a hammer and a stake, trying to jam it is some dudes chest. W00t.

Glock 17: Meh, thats about all I have to say. I was never a big fan of Glock, I'v always gone for Beretta. Though, I must say I'v never seen a game with a pimped out Glock. It's always jsut been the plain old thing, no mounts or anything. Personaly, I would go for the 18, power to the 3-round burst. Though again, I'd rather take a Beretta 93R for that.

P-22: Ahem, ummm, this gun sort of dose not exist. Though, the modle looks almost exactly like a Walter P-99, so I'll jsut take it you meant that. Or the PPK, though I think the P-99 is closer. Again however, whats with the Match barrel?

MP5SD6: Hmmm, why so complex. Why not just a run of the mill MP-5? As I understand, you will ahve an upgrade/change out system, if so why not jsut have a normal MP-5, and put a silencer on it if you want?

AK-47: WWJD without the great Kalashnikov? Great weapon, easy to handle, and yes I speak from experiance. Studry, reliable, kudos to you.

FAMAS: Meh, I never was one for the Metal Gear games. FAMAS is ok, though I must ask why. Its a French gun, and its not for sale to civies either. Hell, Iw ould ahve thought you would have went with an M4, but again, you do ahve the AK. I would ahvew ent fro something bigger than, as you already have an AR, like a G3, or a G-36 or even an LMG.

Remi 870: Oi, as I said before, great gun. It's nice to see some peole arent SPAS bitches.

Win 1895; Meh yet again. I would have went with just a regular Winchester. Yes, the gun made by Winchester, called the Winchester. But what the hell, lever action guns are alwasy fun.

Stakejacker: One of these says, Hollywood is going to sue you. But until then, just like with normal stakes, lets have fun runing around like morons with a big phnumatic spike.

Crossbow: Couldn't ahve a Vampire game without one of these can we. Though I think it needs a scope. That way you ahve some form of sniper weapon, without haveing a real sniper rifle. This eliminates your sniper whore problem, as I would think you put a range cut off from the bow. That way you got some tactical sniping, but not full out sniper whore shit going on.

Caterpiller: Please say I get to run people over?

Well, that jsut about dose it fro what I have to say. If I think up any ideas for guns I think you might like, I will post them, until then.
Zeruel

Postby Pete on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:42 pm

I'll clear this up. First, let me say this: Whatever the location, you're going to grab what guns you can when the vampires come. Most likely, you'll find target weapons (USP Match, H&K USC), old stuff, probably from an old collection, a gun shop, or a museum (though i'd guess they'd deactivate any firearms in there, but yeah). Also there'd be a few full-autos around from police armouries, and... people that know how to get full autos.

LeMat Revolver: Well, I'm at aloss for words, as I cant seem to find this weapon in my normal source material, a trip to google is required.

From the top of my head, it's an old handgun from some kind of civil war ages ago. You might find this useful.

USP Match: The USP (Expert) is withouta doubt one of my most favorit pistols, next to the Python and .941 that is. The only question I have is this: why the Match version?

The match version is a popular target shooter, so it'd be likely you'd find one if you needed a 'piece'.

H&K USC: Oi, got'a love H&K. Though, your choise of the Match barrel for your modle is a bit odd. Personaly I think the snub barrel with a flash hider looks much better. What would look even cooler is if you slapped on a tri-mag anda fore grip.

Remeber it's a target weapon. As part of the assualt weapon ban at the time it was made, you're not allowed flash hiders or barrels any shorter than that. Foregrips are too common on UMP-based models, I swear they're on every UMP model i've seen.

M1A1 Thompson: Ahh, again, got'a love the classics. Though I must ask why such an old weapon? I love the gun and all, but dont you think its a bit old? And if I may ask, will we be having to put up with those blasted WWII 20 round mags? Thirty is a much luckier number.

20 for variation maybe, you can't have all the autos have 30 rounds. Also, like i've said, you'd grab anything you could given the situation, could be found from all kinds of places.

M31: o_O; I'm at a loss for words. Firat off, why the M31, AND the Remi 870? The Remi is abetter weapon overall. And why two skins for the M31? If your going to have more than one shotgun, have a DIFFERENT gun all together. Hell, I know it would be overkill but the USAS kicks ass. It's a first not to see the SPAS. Hell, the M3 Super 90 has a select fire between semi and auto fire. Granted this gun will always havea place in history as the the weapon used to shoot grenads like clay ducks.

The M31's aren't too commonly seen, Benellis, SPASs and USASs are so cliche. Plus it looks cool. ;)

Hammer and Stake: Oh shit this is going to be fun, running around like a mad man with a hammer and a stake, trying to jam it is some dudes chest. W00t.

The hammer/stake's used to finish off a vampire once it's healths been taken to 0, at which point you've got about 5-10 seconds (undecided yet, that's what testings for) to stake him before he returns with low HP. It can probably be used as a melee weapon too.

Glock 17: Meh, thats about all I have to say. I was never a big fan of Glock, I'v always gone for Beretta. Though, I must say I'v never seen a game with a pimped out Glock. It's always jsut been the plain old thing, no mounts or anything. Personaly, I would go for the 18, power to the 3-round burst. Though again, I'd rather take a Beretta 93R for that.

1: Ghostface (leader guy) and the Glock are both Austrian, it was a must-have. :)
2: They're very reliable, and not exactly rare so you'd be able to find one in a hurry if you know the right places.
3: Auto pistols are total suckers to balance. Look at TS, and CS.
4: You can 'pimp it out' to some extent, there's an optional LAM and silencer for it.
5: Glock 18s are full-auto.

P-22: Ahem, ummm, this gun sort of dose not exist. Though, the modle looks almost exactly like a Walter P-99, so I'll jsut take it you meant that. Or the PPK, though I think the P-99 is closer. Again however, whats with the Match barrel?

The P22, like the USP match, is also a popular target pistol. Google it, i'm suprised you haven't heard of it as you call yourself a gun nut.

MP5SD6: Hmmm, why so complex. Why not just a run of the mill MP-5? As I understand, you will ahve an upgrade/change out system, if so why not jsut have a normal MP-5, and put a silencer on it if you want?

'Run of the mill' MP5s are in just about every game. If we had to have it, it'd be better to have a slightly different one. Again, it adds some variety to have a permanently silenced weapon.

AK-47: WWJD without the great Kalashnikov? Great weapon, easy to handle, and yes I speak from experiance. Studry, reliable, kudos to you.

Sure they might be in a lot of games, but they're damn everywhere with all the copies/'black market' ones.

FAMAS: Meh, I never was one for the Metal Gear games. FAMAS is ok, though I must ask why. Its a French gun, and its not for sale to civies either. Hell, Iw ould ahve thought you would have went with an M4, but again, you do ahve the AK. I would ahvew ent fro something bigger than, as you already have an AR, like a G3, or a G-36 or even an LMG.

I've no idea where the FAMAS came from when it comes to feasability. I like it though. LMGs.. nah. I like the G3 though.

Remi 870: Oi, as I said before, great gun. It's nice to see some peole arent SPAS bitches.

It's getting removed and replaced by the sawn-off version you can see on the front page (at time of typing this.) for variation reasons, as well as the fact that old model is really bad. ;)

Win 1895; Meh yet again. I would have went with just a regular Winchester. Yes, the gun made by Winchester, called the Winchester. But what the hell, lever action guns are alwasy fun.

Winchester = classic weapon against the undead. 'nuff said. (ooh, rhyme, I could do it all the time.)

Stakejacker: One of these says, Hollywood is going to sue you. But until then, just like with normal stakes, lets have fun runing around like morons with a big phnumatic spike.

I wasn't sure about it either. We'll see how it goes.

Crossbow: Couldn't ahve a Vampire game without one of these can we. Though I think it needs a scope. That way you ahve some form of sniper weapon, without haveing a real sniper rifle. This eliminates your sniper whore problem, as I would think you put a range cut off from the bow. That way you got some tactical sniping, but not full out sniper whore shit going on.

We don't want scopes in this game, it encourages camping when we'd want people to actually hunt vampires, not sit there and wait. Without any kind of zoom, half the snipey-ness of the weapon is gone. Think Half-Life's crossbow, without the scope; it was good to use in midrange.

The Caterpillar's a map prop.
Last edited by Pete on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete
team pelvicTHRUST
team pelvicTHRUST

Postby azelito on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:48 pm

Zeruel wrote:FNP-9: Hmmm, another odd choice. I had to go look this one up. I question, why the FNP-9, and not the PRO-9 (the US ver)? The PRO-9 is also the only one sold to civilians. The FNP-9 is FN's newest military pistil, designed fro the Belgium military. Granted, anout the only differance between the weapons is their name.

Yea, ok. This is the FNP-9.

Zeruel wrote:USP Match: The USP (Expert) is withouta doubt one of my most favorit pistols, next to the Python and .941 that is. The only question I have is this: why the Match version?

We are going for weapons from our own ideas and weapons from vampire movies. The USP match is used in Underworld.

Zeruel wrote:Mac 11: I'm just going to say now that I hate this gun. I would very much like to know what Gord blah blah blah

Blade use it.

Zeruel wrote:M31: o_O; I'm at a loss for words. Firat off, why the M31, AND the Remi 870? The Remi is abetter weapon overall. And why two skins for the M31? If your going to have more than one shotgun, have a DIFFERENT gun all together.

Live with it.

Zeruel wrote:Glock 17: Meh, thats about all I have to say. I was never a big fan of Glo blah blah

Ok. Some people dont like beretta and some dont like glock. Now we know your stance in the matter.
We have a glock in our game.

Zeruel wrote:P-22: Ahem, ummm, this gun sort of dose not exist. Though, the modle looks almost exactly like a Walter P-99, so I'll jsut take it you meant that. Or the PPK, though I think the P-99 is closer. Again however, whats with the Match barrel?

The Walther P22 does exist and we did not put P22 instead of P99 by mistake. The P99's hammer is hidden btw.

Zeruel wrote:MP5SD6: Hmmm, why so complex. Why not just a run of the mill MP-5? As I understand, you will ahve an upgrade/change out system, if so why not jsut have a normal MP-5, and put a silencer on it if you want?

I dont know why you feel that we should change half our arsenal after your likings but yeah, we wont.

Zeruel wrote:Win 1895; Meh yet again. I would have went with just a regular Winchester. Yes, the gun made by Winchester, called the Winchester.

We didnt.

Zeruel wrote:Stakejacker: One of these says, Hollywood is going to sue you. But until then, just like with normal stakes, lets have fun runing around like morons with a big phnumatic spike.

Right by the time when H&K, Glock, Walther and so on sue us. I await the day with excitement.

Zeruel wrote:Crossbow: Couldn't ahve a Vampire game without one of these can we. Though I think it needs a scope. That way you ahve some form of sniper weapon, without haveing a real sniper rifle. This eliminates your sniper whore problem, as I would think you put a range cut off from the bow. That way you got some tactical sniping, but not full out sniper whore shit going on.

Scopes will not be useful.

Zeruel wrote:Caterpiller: Please say I get to run people over?

No.

Hope this answers most of your questions.
azelito
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Pete on Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:50 pm

You lose, azelito. I beat you by a whole 6 minutes.

:P

However you answered a few that I didn't, and raised a few points I should have.
Pete
team pelvicTHRUST
team pelvicTHRUST

Postby Mort Rouge on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:37 pm

One thing I'm DEFINATLY tired off is gun realism... For years, there've been Half-Life (Counter Strike more likely :roll:...), Battlefield etc etc (Tough I like the WWII weps in W:ET)

I don't want another realistic shooter, if I want one, I play Counter Strike. I want a real Vampire hunter FPS where we get to hunt vampires, nothing else is really important. The design is why the weapons are chosen, and they are also balanced as far as I can see.

Oh, and I never think that the arsenal would be based at what is sold to the public... This isn't really set in U.S.A, so if the hunters need a real gun, they must steal it or get it from some contacts :roll: ...
Mort Rouge

Postby Zeruel on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:37 pm

If your gooing for weapons sold to the public, I'm very surprised you dont have more revolvers. On the note for revolvers, I must protest your use of the LaMat. A cap-and-ball gun? And whats this I read about an undebarrel shotgun? First off, I would just like to point out that cap-and-ball revolvers are pieces of shit. Sure they were advanced as hell abck in their day, but I would rather run around with a lead pipe than use one. They take forever to load.

Step1- open drum
Step2- pour in black poweder
Step3- place ball in
Step4- close cylender and use hammer to load ball
Step5- cyle round and insert cap
Step6- recycle round and fire

All that, for one stinking shot. Also, they are unballanced and very inaccurate. Thier max effective range is about 20 yards. After that it taks an expert marksmen to make the bullet go where he wants it. If you must use any cap-and-ball weapons, use something like the Colt Navy. Or ir you just wanted a singl-action, go for a Peacemaker (the Colt 1873 Single Action Army) As Ocilot once said, "The greatest weapon ever made".

So as I said earlier, I'm all cool with with msot of the weapons you have, but I would like to see more revolvers, or heavier calibre pistols. Also, I would like to ask, will duel-weilding be allowed. You said yourself your not going for realisim, so I see runinga round with twin Desert Eagles or Python Elites blazing away very appealing.

And another thing, are you planning on putting any other SMGs in the game, and will you be putting ann for of sighs in your upgrade system, like insdead of using iron-sights (which I hate on most weapons) you can use neon, or fiber optic, or even x1 zoom tactical sights.

Also, what type of laser sights will you have? Just plain old red dot, or tactical amber, green sight or anything like that?
Zeruel

Postby Pete on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:45 pm

About the LeMat reloading: http://board.nosferatuthegame.com/viewtopic.php?t=117

Dual-wielding is being considered, though it's quite possible.

No crazy sight type things are planned. Even though on just about every weapon i've skinned there's some form of night-sights, they won't be of much advantage at all ingame.

Laser sights'll probably just work as a red dot in the centre of the screen, visible to others.
Pete
team pelvicTHRUST
team pelvicTHRUST

Postby Kilt Gaston on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:22 pm

Zeruel wrote:Personaly, I would go for the 18, power to the 3-round burst.

fully automatic, actually.
Kilt Gaston

Postby Dan on Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:30 am

Pete wrote:I'll clear this up. First, let me say this: Whatever the location, you're going to grab what guns you can when the vampires come. Most likely, you'll find target weapons (USP Match, H&K USC), old stuff, probably from an old collection, a gun shop, or a museum (though i'd guess they'd deactivate any firearms in there, but yeah). Also there'd be a few full-autos around from police armouries, and... people that know how to get full autos.

This seemed to be the best place to reply, though a bit off topic it deserves a post somewhere, at least.

I don't agree with the "Grab Whatever Guns You Can" element of gameplay. That's for 'zombie' mods. "GRAB YOUR WEAPONS AND HIDE YOUR CHILDREN, THE VAMPIRES BE COMIN'!"

Aren't slayers the kinds of people who would have a libraries' worth of ancient books about vampires and what they can do and how they slay them? That have had years of experience counter-stalking them in the night? The kinds of people that would have the tools of the trade on them at all times, or at least in a place accessible before they strap on their vamp-killin' gear and head out the door? (Like guns stored in stylish, hollowed out leatherbound books, for example.)

Sure, ANYONE could be a vampire slayer, but if 39- Year Old Jimmy Generic Down The Street spontaneously decided to go out for a night of vampire-killin', he'd probably end up with a hole or two in his neck.

It's like a hunter taking no equipment with him until he actually sees a deer, at which point he scrambles to the nearest conveniently placed arsenal so he can take a shot. It makes no sense.
Dan

Postby Zeruel on Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:07 am

Dan wrote:This seemed to be the best place to reply, though a bit off topic it deserves a post somewhere, at least.

I don't agree with the "Grab Whatever Guns You Can" element of gameplay. That's for 'zombie' mods. "GRAB YOUR WEAPONS AND HIDE YOUR CHILDREN, THE VAMPIRES BE COMIN'!"

Aren't slayers the kinds of people who would have a libraries' worth of ancient books about vampires and what they can do and how they slay them? That have had years of experience counter-stalking them in the night? The kinds of people that would have the tools of the trade on them at all times, or at least in a place accessible before they strap on their vamp-killin' gear and head out the door? (Like guns stored in stylish, hollowed out leatherbound books, for example.)

Sure, ANYONE could be a vampire slayer, but if 39- Year Old Jimmy Generic Down The Street spontaneously decided to go out for a night of vampire-killin', he'd probably end up with a hole or two in his neck.

It's like a hunter taking no equipment with him until he actually sees a deer, at which point he scrambles to the nearest conveniently placed arsenal so he can take a shot. It makes no sense.

*hugs Dan*

Your my new best friend.

On a random note, I happen to be an avid Role Player, and it also jsut happens that I have just gotten out of a Vampire based RP. In said RP, I did infact play a hunter, a hunter who was armed out the ass. And I'm not talking DnD RPing, I'm talking texted bassed forum roleplaying.

I really think it's stupid for a hunter to jsut walk around, break into some dudes house and steals the gun that just happens to be there. If I were a modern day hunter you ebt your ass my second home would be the local post office, where I would pick up my sweet as import weapons. I'd be packing everything from black market full auto L85's to a fucking COP .357 in a groin holser. USAS slung over my shoulder, high calibre pistols stuffed in my badass treanch coat. The works. Fuck that pussy ass target weapon shit, go get a real gun. P22 is a God damned .22 target pistol. Sure its fine if you want to shoot at targets or small animals, but I'm not going anywhere near a vampire unless I'm packing at least a 9mm. Screw crossbows, unless I can take a vamp out witha single shot, I'm going to go grab a Winchester .300 Magnum rifle to put big holes in things.

I mean, at least quit it with the pansy ass guns and trow in at least some low-grade military stuff.
Zeruel

Postby Pete on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:57 am

Firstly, can you stop being offensive about it? Nobody's said anything offensive, and I certainly don't intend to.

Two of the target weapons actually fire a decent cartridge, the USP match and USC fire 9mm and .45, respectively. These aren't weak bullets. While the P22 fires the weaker .22 bullet, that doesn't mean it's the worst weapon in the game. Smaller bullets = higher magazine capacity for example. For its tradeoffs, it's certainly got a few advantages over higher-caliber pistols (think 92f vs Desert Eagle). Besides, it's quite a fresh concept to have a small portion of target weapons. Most people who know where to get guns wouldn't be able to get the 'big' stuff. If you want to use ARs, we've got two, the AK47 and FAMAS, which might not be M60s (try going up against one of those), but they're actually big enough if you want this game to be fair.

I can see what you mean, but you've got to think in terms of fairness in gameplay. You don't want something that can down a vampire instantly, it'd ruin the game for anyone wanting to play as a vampire, you'd have no chance.

Besides, we already have some low-grade military stuff. At some point, the FNP9, Glock, MAC-11, Thompson, MP5 and FAMAS have all been used by the military and/or SWAT/SAS/other special weapons forces at some point. And it's not as if none of these pack a punch.
Pete
team pelvicTHRUST
team pelvicTHRUST

Postby Ghostface on Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:17 am

Ok looks like there was some kind of confusion about the "grab whatever you can" statement.

This is not a gameplay element. Its not like you walk around ingame and search for weapons laying around. The statement is soley a lame theoretical reason to explain the arsenal of guns we choosed, it doesn't actually affect gameplay.

As written on various places on the website and the design doc, the slayers will have to choose 1 primary and 1 secondary weapon at the beginning of each round. The arsenal of weapons they can choose from is determined by the level they reached (higher level = more unlocked).

There are very rare exceptions where you will be able to drop your current weapon and pick one up, placed somewhere hidden in a map but that will be the exception.

@Lemat

Luckily we are making a game that should be fun and no ultra-realistic shooter. Thus we can just take any weapon that looks cool and tweak it a little from reality in order to make it work correctly in our game. Same with the Lemat :) )

@FAMAS

I am half french and I like the FAMAS so thats the reason why its in.

Everything else has already been answered I think.

@Target Weapons

Take the USP Match for example. Its LOOKS cool. Sure it wouldn't be your first choice if you would want to kill somebody but who cares ? Movies (Underworld for example) don't care, we don't care, and you know why ? Because games and movies are meant to entertain. So we are trying to get cool looking weapons in, instead of boring weapons which you see in every other game anyway.
Sex is like hacking. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back
Ghostface
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Mort Rouge on Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:45 am

Ghostface wrote:So we are trying to get cool looking weapons in, instead of boring weapons which you see in every other game anyway.

Yay :D !

We vamps can roam safe then ;)!
Mort Rouge

Next

Return to Suggestions and Comments