3rd person

Constructive criticism and comments, please.

Moderator: Dead Rabbit Software

3rd person or 1st person?

1st person
64%
3rd person
36%

Total votes : 33

Postby dru on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:29 am

just dont make the same mistake the ts team made and make the thirdperson go back to first on EVERY death. that sucked, why did they do that?
dru
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Ghostface on Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:16 pm

well it was prolly a coding mistake. They maybe stored the on/off info for the thirdperson at a non persistant place.

Ours is saved as a cvar so even if you close the game the thirdperson settings are saved :)
Sex is like hacking. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back
Ghostface
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby hobstad on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:46 pm

hmmm it could be nice to have a fps system that automatically turns to a 3rd person view when performing special actions (ones that do not need user interventions)..

Let's use an example everyone knows : a terrorist in Counter Strike places a bomb.
That does not require any other actions that holding the left mouse boutton pressed.
The nice thing here would be that the camera switches automatically to a 3rd person view. For matrix freaks, it could even turn arround your char to see him placing the bomb and give you the feeling it's a heroic move :p

Back to the topic, the idea I have is that when you terminate a vampire as a slayer, your cam goes automatically to 3rd so that you can see yourself poking the vampire. Lots of blood, screams and so on looks better from a few meters ^_^

bah, a bit restrictive, but I guess there's plenty of other things you've prepared that could use that.. :o

Personal choice, I wouldn't allow players to use the 3rd view anytime. Just go to a corner, switch to 3rd view, and turn arround so that you can see what's on the other side of the corer. I know it's possible to lock some camera angle, but that's detail.
In games like swg, I've seen lots of players complaining because 3rd view had loads of benefits making fp view less efficient in player-versus-player , etc. Ah, yes it was on a french server, which could explain the load of complaints *wink wink*

It would avoid complains of "camera balancing" (like the agravating "teams" or else) and so on ... but, once more it's my narrow point of view :roll:

That's just my advice
*feeling important* no worries I'll still play your game if 3rd view is available :wink: :wink:

ok for now, I hope everything's going well with developpement. Thanks guys :D
<a href="http://hobstad.deviantart.com">Visit my gallery!</a>
hobstad

Postby Icarus on Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:00 pm

hobstad wrote:Personal choice, I wouldn't allow players to use the 3rd view anytime. Just go to a corner, switch to 3rd view, and turn arround so that you can see what's on the other side of the corer. I know it's possible to lock some camera angle, but that's detail.

The said they'll make 3rd person in a way that you wont be able to look behind corners.
Ghostface wrote:Icarus answered all questions exactly the way I would have.

I qualify him officialy to answer questions like that.
Icarus
Certified to answer nos related stuff

Postby hobstad on Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:06 pm

hobstad wrote:I know it's possible to lock some camera angle, but that's detail.

I know, I've written I'm consious of it. Jsut to tell there's a lot of exploits related to 3rd view cameras.

Plus, it provides you with a wider view of the battlefield, gives better perspective (i.e. throwing explosives), etc. which *could* make the views not equally balanced.

and just imagine somene comes in your back willing to stab you.
fps : can't see it coming and get badly stabbed
3rd: you see a creepy figure behind you (using his screenshot key), and before getting hit, hop! You turn arround and pump his face full lead. Blam.

that was my point of view ^_^

bah, both views will have cons and pros. Both will be fun :D :D :D
hobstad

Postby Icarus on Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:11 pm

I'm sure they'll figure something out to make it work.
Ghostface wrote:Icarus answered all questions exactly the way I would have.

I qualify him officialy to answer questions like that.
Icarus
Certified to answer nos related stuff

Postby hobstad on Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:18 pm

sure they will ^_^

well, have a good night everyone, I'm shutting down to computer :D
hobstad

Postby Ghostface on Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 pm

actually

if you can't see someone in firstperson view you wont be able to see him in thirdperson either.

The server checks if you are able to see someone from a firstperson point of view, and if not it doesn't even send the information to the client. So no looking around corners in thirdperson mode etc. That won't help you, you will simply not see the enemy until you run around the corner.

It might look slightly wierd at times, but its fair this way.

This can be disabled on server side however it will be on by default, otherwise thirdperson players would have an advantage over firstperson players.
Sex is like hacking. You get in, you get out, and you hope you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back
Ghostface
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Mort Rouge on Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:26 pm

Ghostface wrote:actually

if you can't see someone in firstperson view you wont be able to see him in thirdperson either.

The server checks if you are able to see someone from a firstperson point of view, and if not it doesn't even send the information to the client. So no looking around corners in thirdperson mode etc. That won't help you, you will simply not see the enemy until you run around the corner.

It might look slightly wierd at times, but its fair this way.

This can be disabled on server side however it will be on by default, otherwise thirdperson players would have an advantage over firstperson players.

Niiiiiiiiiice! :P (Always hated corner looking...)
Mort Rouge

Postby Bloodthirsty on Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:58 pm

I'd rather go with 1st person.

But I'm also going to go with:
Vampires in 3rd person (you don't really need boomsticks or cocktails being a vampire)
Humans in 1st person

That sounds best.
Bloodthirsty

Postby Evil_cenoura on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:02 am

what about the 2nd person ? wont they feel lonely (god end my misery)
Evil_cenoura

Postby Strix on Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:12 pm

wasn't freescale climbing mentioned? imagine that would look better in 3rd.
Strix

Postby FraGGer on Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:33 am

Its not like wall climbing more like taking an edge and pulling yourself up to it
[img]http://www.tuimz.nl/moon.gif[/img]
FraGGer
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Kilt Gaston on Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 am

i.e. climbing.
Kilt Gaston

Postby Witzzard on Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:12 pm

Hmm ... if it really works well with this 3rd person thing i would say it's okay to use a toggleable perspective... The idea with a server-side var would be cool :)

Hmm but plz. check twice if this works well (got sick of people bug-using thrid-person bugs like in Desert-Combat)...
Witzzard

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions and Comments