Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 4

Unable to use my cd-rom...

Postby Roberticus on Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:02 pm

Problem:
the computer can find the cd-rom (Drive F: ), but when I put in a cd, it won't read it (I have turned off the auto-run feature).
When I double click on the cd icon (in my computer) it says: Please insert a disk into drive F:
I've tried now with 10 different cds, and all the same: "please insert a disk into drive F:"
I've tried now two times to uninstall the cd-rom and install it again, still the same
I checked the cables, all inserted as they should be, still same problem

info:
C: Main HDD
D: secondary HDD
E: part 2 of main HDD
F: CD-Rom

What to do now?
Roberticus

Postby TheFrog4u on Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:18 pm

try another cd-rom-drive (from a friend -whatever.. same typ if possible) and try again.. if it works your cd-drive is garbage..
azelito wrote:So let's write that in the manual "Don't hold the button. Because that sucks"

TheFrog4u
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby StormShadow on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:40 pm

Ive seen this problem before on a public computer and have no idea how to solve it. The computer recognizes that there is a drive there, but the drive will not read the cd.

First, you can put in a cd, put your ear close to the drive, and find out if the cd is spinning and being mounted. If it is, it might be a problem with the laser that reads the cd. If its not spinning, its a mechanical problem with the cdrom. Either way, its probably cheaper to buy a new drive then to fix it.

If you bought the drive recently, maybe you can return it and get your money back.
StormShadow
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby dru on Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:49 am

i had this problem before, i still had a warranty so i got a new drive, couldnt figure out how to repair it myself.
dru
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby azelito on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:31 am

Pull the CD drive out of the case, screw the top off so that you can see at least parts of the mechanism. Take one of those sticks with cotton on it and clean the lens with it. Put the drive back together and tadah!
azelito
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Return to Offtopic