The state of the PC Gaming industry

Offtopic stuff goes here...

Moderator: Dead Rabbit Software

The state of the PC Gaming industry

Postby .neo.styles on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:45 pm

This doesn't apply to every PC game, rather the industry in general.

The way I see things, the industry is in a bit of a rut. The PC is still regarded as in inferior platform by most publishers. Now Microsoft is doing something to change that,with it's games for Vista retail initiative where PC gaming will be given it's own distinctive section in the store.

I believe that that is only the first step. The games themselves must improve.
[1] Stop making stupid mistakes. As many of you are aware, the recently released SIN episodes featured three guns. Three??!! How stupid can you get!? Anyone ever get the feeling that game developers are blind to the world around them?

[2] Creativity. Console games demonstrate an an enormous amount of creativity in their settings, weapons (more on this later on), and their enemies.

[3] Content recyclement. PC developers seem to be fine with spitting out the same environments, weapons, and enemies over and over again. Case in point : Half Life 2 episode 1 (I believe that "Half Life 2 regurgitated would have been a more accurate and less deceptive name and I can't imagine how it earned an 85%.)

Console developer's seem to realize that each new installment in a series warrants new contentent o many examples to name, but Halo 2 is a standout.

BTW, Halo 2 is a stunning, a perfect example of where so many PC games go wrong (in that it avoids these issues.)

Case in Point : Unreal Tournament 2007 and Far Cry.

[4] Weapons. First off, Console games' usually feature one of several much needed weapon-based features :

* Dual wielding
* Melee attack
* Alt fires
* Customizable weaponry

Also, console games often have superior weapon effects (see : Halo 2) to PC Games. Some console games even have effects that I would call spectacular, such as Mech Assault 2. Most of it is jut more imaginative.

Third off, PC developers seem to have become obsessed with the concept of recoil, employing it adnauseum. So many otherwise good games have become ruined by games that behave downright oddly when fired. What the hell is with muzzle climb, anyhow? I can't seem to understand how someone could think that it benefits a game. Excessive recoil palys a HUGE role in ruining what people often refer to as the "feel" of a game.

Yes, in small quantities, recoil is beneficiary, but currently I'm wondering how the characters even manage to hang on to their guns..? I'm sure I'm not alone in hating it when you fire and then the next thing you know, you're looking up at the sky. Crsyis and Quake Wars are promising : the gun just jerks backwards and accuracy decreases as you fire AT A SLOW RATE. The key here is DON'T OVERDO IT.

On a related note, many PC games also suffer from BBM syndome (bizarre ballistics model) where shooting from 20 feet away yields an absurdly high spread (see : Battlefield 2.) Yes, folks, no guns should be pinpoint accurate, but try and make it so we don't need a whole magazine to kill an enemy at close range while we are standing as still as a mouse.

I don't think that PC developers give any thought to the accuracy or recoil of their guns.

[5] Animations (or lack thereof.) You'll notice that many console games feature smoother animations. Frankly, I also don't think that PC games feature enough animations. Weapons should be more animated in my opinion.

[6] Performance/installation process. One of the biggest attractions of a console game is a silky soothe 65 FPS. Console games also work instantly, sparing users from the hideous installation process.

[7] Lack of ambition. You want me to be honest? I think PC game developers are scared to go out on a limb. I mean, there are promising titles like Alliance : the Silent War (over 200 guns!! whee!) but most other games seem to convey a certain timidness. The PC is capable of so much more! Give us big levels! Give us huge arsenals of weapons and vehicles! For more info, see my post in the "Your Idea for a Game" thread. How about vehicles with multiple weapons.

[8] Lack of polish. You know what? I'm sick and tired of trying to play an game and experience bizarre technical problems, like inverted colors or no sound. Console gamers rarely have to put up with such problems.

[9] Negligence for community. It seems to me that the "community" for a lot of games ends up serving as little more than a pretense, as developers rarely discuss fans ideas and reflections on the games with them (as it is implied that they will.) I think developers need to realize who they are making the games for. Maybe if they paid attention their suggestions, the fans could focus on playing and (most importantly) enjoying the games. Many times (in articles) have developers stated that they must balance the fans' wishes with their own goals, but developer interaction is starting to become a legend.

Although, the Splash Damage community did surprise me. Wink

[10] Sound. Many PC games feature weapons and explosions which sound, for lack of a better word, weak.

[11] Graphics. Ironically, this should be the PCs strength, but it isn't. Even though, graphics aren't everything, games that look like they came out 3 years ago is simply unacceptable. Poor weapon effects are an area of improvement and explosions have much room for improvement as well. Also, someone needs to get around to fixing the low polygon problem and the "textures look blurry when you get close" problem. There is a alot of unrealized potential in the PC hardware.

[12] Interface. Developers should realize that just because it works, doesn't mean it's okay. It should look good too. Console games often have fuly animated menus. It would be nice if they provided adaquete graphical options as well. FSAA ftw!

[13] Overdone genres (maybe a console game flaw too.) I'm tired of seeing so many fantasy and World War 2 games. What we need is more sci fi games. Sci fi is, in my option, a far more interesting genre has a lot of room for innovation.

I'm not particularly eager to see another modern day game, but it would certainly be preferable to more fantasy or WW2 games.

[14]Overall game play flexibility. Console games feature many interesting game play twists, often including the ability to use your environment to your advantage.

[15]The look of combat. Aside from being fun to participate in, action should be fun to watch as well. As far as I can tell, not a single pC developer has achieved this.
.neo.styles

Postby loggerer on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:07 pm

Ummm? Ok..!
loggerer
team pelvicTHRUST
team pelvicTHRUST

Postby Witzzard on Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:11 pm

I can't agree with you on that subject.
Not even on the subject of shooters i could...

I mean i'm playing games beside FPS and i see a lot of cool games for the computer, or at least more possibilities.

Eg. the Editors wich are available for computer. I mean the ElderScrollConstruction Set or the SDK released for Civ IV are much more then you will get for nearly every console game....

Then such games like 'the Movies', Black and White, Spore, im Ant (okay old school), such adventures like The Westerner,... they all added something new, wich weren't there before. And i think a lot of this game concept aren't nearly realized in a console game...

The sheer amount of simulations for the computer are a big plus...
O mean i nearly never saw a 'Tycoon' game for a console... neither some Flight simulation...

Sure Consoles got their pro's, japano RPG's often really rock (Suikoden is one of the best RPG's i've ever played),... but it got it con's eg. the controling, i hate the controls...
The last time i played some shooter on a console there were in nearly everygame 'auto-aim' installed, because the controls were to inaccurate..

So both got pro and cons....
A german poem (part) by myself

Ich dacht’ ich war dir nah,
doch warst du niemals wirklich da.
Dacht ich hätte dich verstanden,
doch hat dieses Verstehen nie bestanden. [...]
Witzzard

Postby .neo.styles on Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:13 pm

For the future, "got" is past-tense and "have" (which is the correct word in this case) is present-tense.

/Daily English lesson. :D
.neo.styles

Postby Kilt Gaston on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:15 pm

I agree with on a few of your points, especially on accuracy cones with guns in games, but your comment on recoil makes it painfully obvious that you've never fired a rifle before, at least nothing bigger than a .22 anyway. also, in my opinion you chose a bad exception for your lack of ambition point, as quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. I'd choose something along the lines of Mafia, that game had very high production values and managed to keep me entertained for months all on its own.
Kilt Gaston

Postby .neo.styles on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:10 pm

Kilt Gaston wrote:I agree with on a few of your points, especially on accuracy cones with guns in games, but your comment on recoil makes it painfully obvious that you've never fired a rifle before, at least nothing bigger than a .22 anyway. also, in my opinion you chose a bad exception for your lack of ambition point, as quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. I'd choose something along the lines of Mafia, that game had very high production values and managed to keep me entertained for months all on its own.

What, so you're saying that the accuracy should be reasonable but the recoil should be excessive?

Video games are FICTION, thus they aren't strictly based on real life and guns in games don't have to behave like they do in real life.
.neo.styles

Postby CriX on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:52 pm

|_}UM{--}G{_|FeAR wrote:
Kilt Gaston wrote:I agree with on a few of your points, especially on accuracy cones with guns in games, but your comment on recoil makes it painfully obvious that you've never fired a rifle before, at least nothing bigger than a .22 anyway. also, in my opinion you chose a bad exception for your lack of ambition point, as quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality. I'd choose something along the lines of Mafia, that game had very high production values and managed to keep me entertained for months all on its own.

What, so you're saying that the accuracy should be reasonable but the recoil should be excessive?

Video games are FICTION, thus they aren't strictly based on real life and guns in games don't have to behave like they do in real life.

but why my friend is everyone aiming for the most realism then?
CriX
Dead Rabbit Software
Dead Rabbit Software

Postby Mort Rouge on Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:02 pm

Can't believe that you actually wrote all that! :lol: Creds to you :wink: !

But now... I just want to make a point here. About SIN, I don't know how it is, since I haven't played it, but gaming is so much more than the weapons in a FPS. It's not like that when I get a better weapon in the game I go "Whoohooo, this sooo badass" and start bersercing. That is for kids who only plays GTA so that they can drive over pedestrians! I more like the challenges and puzzles, that is what keeps me going.

And dear Fear, pretty please with sugar on the top start playing something else than FPS :roll: ...
Mort Rouge

Return to Offtopic