Renders, Music, and more

News which are displayed on the frontside.

Moderator: Dead Rabbit Software

Postby aswilson on Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:34 pm

1MOA = 1 minute of arc/angle. It refers to a 60th of a degree, and is used to measure firearm accuracy because it's roughly equal to a 1 inch spread at 100 yards.
aswilson

Postby Mr. Orange on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:40 pm

and 2 inches at 200 yards, and so on and so forthe, although the farther away you get the fractions start to add up and you will have a different size area at a certain distance. i don't know what the exact fraction is but it would be something like...instead of 10 inches at 1000 yards you would have 11 inches.

if someone knows the exact math they can correct me but i m just givin an example.
Mr. Orange

Postby aswilson on Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:15 pm

Lessee...
A circle with a radius of 100 yards has a circumferance of about 628.3185 yards, so a degree is 1.7453 yards, and a minute is then .0291 yards, or 1.0472 inches. So then it'll be 10.472 inches at 1000 yards. Not another inch, but still enough to make a difference.
aswilson

Postby Mr. Orange on Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:55 am

nice job, i was just giving a rough estimate. i was too lazy to look it up.
Mr. Orange

Postby Thorbard on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:25 pm

Now, a word on battle rifles: a battle rifle is basically a sniper rifle without a scope

I'd disagree with you here. A battle rifle is not a sniper rifle without a scope, but rather an intermediate weapon between the range and power of the infantry assault rifles and the sniper rifles.

Most sniper rifles acheive 1MOA, being limited by the quality of the amunition and the skills of the marksman. There isnt much point in making the rifles more acurate, the ammunition just isnt good enough to make it of any use.
Thorbard

Postby aswilson on Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:24 pm

aswilson wrote:Now, a word on battle rifles: a battle rifle is basically a sniper rifle without a scope (More accurately, a sniper rifle is a battle rifle with a scope.).

That context is important. The majority of semi-automatic sniper rifles are "accurized" battle rifles, fitted with scopes. Even the PSG-1 is a heavily modified and very tightly built version of the G3. Also, the battle rifle was developed because the US military doctrine of the time was that an infantryman needed a rifle that was effective out to 1000 yards, also the effective range of most sniper rifles. Hence, the massively overpowered 7.62x51mm round was designed and pushed into NATO doctrine. The long-range effectiveness was undeniable, illustrated in the fact that even purpose-built sniper rifles typically use the round, but the truth was and is that infantry function at much shorter ranges.

In addition, a bit of minutia: The definition of a sniper is "A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.". Nothing about scopes or power or range or accuracy.

Also, most sniper rifles do not shoot 1MOA, especially Soviet-style rifles. Your average semi-auto will shoot 1.5, your average bolt-action between that and 1, although there are many exceptions. Soviet-style rifles will fire even higher that that. On the other hand, there are exceptions, even in semi-auto. PSG1s are the most well-known, guarenteed to fire under 1MOA, but the standard USMC sniper rifle, the SR-25, is even more accurate than that, .25MOA having been seen. Obviously, neither skill nor ammo are limiting.
aswilson

Previous

Return to News